Monday, June 04, 2007

Ordinary 9V battery supplied lethal jolt

This is the lowest voltage electrocution I've come across so far.

1999 Darwin Awards
A US Navy safety publication describes injuries incurred while doing don't's. One page described the fate of a sailor playing with a multimeter in an unauthorized manner. He was curious about the resistance level of the human body. He had a Simpson 260 multimeter, a small unit powered by a 9-volt battery. That may not seem powerful enough to be dangerous… but it can be deadly in the wrong hands.

The sailor took a probe in each hand to measure his bodily resistance from thumb to thumb. But the probes had sharp tips, and in his excitement he pressed his thumbs hard enough against the probes to break the skin. Once the salty conducting fluid known as blood was available, the current from the multimeter travelled right across the sailor's heart, disrupting the electrical regulation of his heartbeat. He died before he could record his Ohms.

The lesson? The Navy issues very few objects which are designed to be stuck into the human body.

2 comments:

MikeT said...

Government property destroyed government property. Only in the military :)

Douglas said...

During a circuit building course when I was going through bec in the MC, I set my breadboard on fire, by building my circuit properly. aparently, the way I laid out my circuit just happened to intersect with an internal short on my bread board.

Effer melted right before me, I tried to pull the power supplies leads from the board, but ended up having to kill source at the power-supply.

I got a healthy ass chewing, until my instructor realized I built the circuit correctly.

That kinda stuff happened to me all the time. There is a great deal of misfortune that landed on me at the most bizarre moments.